Momentum is a force that can be created, molded, and shaped. It can be sped up or come to a grinding halt. But the one consistent thing that momentum does is solve all problems.
Everyone understands momentum. Decisions are made based on momentum. Emotions and feelings get caught up in the momentum or lack of momentum. Underlying every problem is momentum. And momentum solves problems.
Why Does Momentum Matter?
When you feel stuck or have trouble getting up to speed, it can feel like you don’t have momentum. The very idea of momentum is something almost imaginary. It is the culmination of many different positive emotions, events, actions and connections that propel you forward. You can manifest momentum and leverage it to your advantage. Here are five ways to identify momentum and then how to take advantage of it.
1. Get Extremely Clear on Your Goals – Write down the why, what, how and when for each of your goals. As soon as you clarify this for yourself, you can then break down the what and how into smaller steps to start taking action.
2. Share your Goals with Family, Friends, Peers, Coaches – When you share your goals with others, you are subconsciously putting it out into the world. You are also promising something (a book launch, a membership launch, a podcast launch) to not only the person you are sharing with, but to yourself. You will then be held accountable for those actions. The phrase “Hey – you mentioned you were launching a book – how’s that going?”, will become all too common and will get harder to answer if you don’t deliver.
3. Your Subconscious Will Kick into High Gear – Whether you realize it or not, your subconscious will begin working in overdrive to deliver on what you have shared with your friends, family, and the world. It works to make you more aware of those around you that could help realize your goals.
4. Intentionally Make Connections, Share Your Goals, and Ask for Help – When networking, it feels as though people want to keep to themselves about their projects, instead of opening and allowing a real conversation to take place. When you intentionally make connections to see how you can work with others, doors open. Take advantage, build partnerships, happily pay for someone’s expertise to help push your goals further.
5. Reflect & Keep Going – The only way momentum shows up is if you recognize that it is there, helping you along. When you take a few moments to stop and reflect, you realize that momentum is there with you, waiting for you to recognize it. As an exercise, write list of 10 positive actions or events over the last week that have influenced you in your life. As you read the list over, think about each one and how it made you feel and how, because of one action or event, it led to another action on the list.
Momentum is only as powerful as you choose to recognize it to be.
When you push through to meet your goals, momentum is there by your side. As you voice your dreams to others, momentum is listening. Over this past week alone, I voiced my goals and dreams to a coach, and sure enough, through momentum and pushing to meet deadlines, I am realizing my goals. You’ll see the results of this hard work soon. December will be a big month.
Here’s to Friday and another amazing week!
Let me know your thoughts on momentum in the comments below or connect with me on Twitter @BWarsinske. Most of all, if you enjoyed this post or found value in it, please share it.